Monday, May 16, 2011

Refreshing Quinoa Salad

I modeled this healthy side dish after a delightful little salad I had at one of my favorite local, organic spots, Souper Jenny. This place is AMAZING. They receive local organic ingredients from near-by farms around 4am each morning. Then they get to work planning their menu for the day and emailing subscribers. I can't tell you how much I love getting this email every day. With dishes like the salad below, tomato-basil goat cheese soup, and even lobster salad sandwiches - you cannot go wrong! Of course, my salad was not as delicious as Jenny's, but I was pretty impressed with the taste.

Cheers!



RECIPE

Ingredients
1 cup dried Quinoa
1 cup water
Dash salt
1/2 diced English cucumber
1-2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 avocado diced
Juice from 1 lemon
Juice from 1 lime
Drizzle of EVOO

Directions
Bring 1 cup water and 1 cup Quinoa to a boil in small saucepan. Once boiling, add a dash of salt and reduce heat to low and let cook, covered for 10 minutes. Transfer Quinoa to bowl and let cool in fridge overnight. Once Quinoa is chilled, add diced cucumber, red onion, avocado, lemon & lime juice and drizzle with EVOO. Mix all ingredients together. Serve cold and enjoy!

TIP - add you favorite veggies like tomato and yellow squash for an extra boost of color and nutrients!

No comments:

Post a Comment